Monday, September 12, 2005

Gabby

In previous posts, I have mentioned a cat called Gabby. She has been my pal, my roommate, my conscience, my nemesis....but mostly my best buddy here in this house. She is the poor little kitty that got kicked out of her home, and had a hard road.
But now she's here, living with me for over a year now.
We have fallen into our routines...at 8:30 she hops up onto the bed and settles in on the lambs wool coat and sleeps for an hour. Then she gets up and head-butts me, "wraa-wraa"...
It's time for her breakfast...so I get up and she runs ahead of me and then waits...impatiently as I prepare her food, she does what cats do, walk and weave between my legs in anticipation of Food, and then OH BOY! Breakfast!
Then I go about my own routine....make coffee, take a shower, read the paper....
Then I sit down and start the computer and go online, or sit at the drawing board...And for the rest of the day, little Gabby will come and whine...she wants some more food, she wants to go outside....so I give her more food, or I let her outside.
This has been our routine...Until I realized tonight, even though Gabby and I live together, this is all we have done...we have established this routine of anonymity...we go through these motions of everyday life without even thinking about how much we appreciate each other. And I realized I don't pick her up as much as I should....or pet her as much as I should...
I have sensed such a melancholy in Gabby's meows...
So tonight when I was watching TV, she came and jumped in my lap, and I made sure to give her some attention, I petted her for an hour or more....and she purred like the dickens....
This made me think of family and friends...Have I just gone through the motions with them as well?
I think that I have, for years...

2 Comments:

Blogger Joht said...

A cat, like a gentleman of leisure cannot be ignored. Had she wanted your attention she would have obtained it, one way or another.

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought-provoking, mootable pv. just my thoughts, well anyways gl & be chipper is what i say

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home