Saturday, September 10, 2005

To Draw a House

I have always loved to draw. Even when I was a kid, I would draw silly drawings all the time. I remember evenings with my parents in the living room while they were watching 'The Fugitive' or 'Peyton Place', I had my drawing pad on the floor and I would ask them, "What should I make?"
They would always be so supportive and say something like, "why don't you draw our house?"
I drew pencil drawings ALL the time back then, I still have old drawings that astonish me to this day, some that I don't remember even doing until I see them.
When I went off to college, it seems that's all I did, even to the detriment of my Business classes, which I didn't like anyway...
It was then that I realized that this is what I wanted to do, this is who I am....
Recently I have lamented the lack of passion for drawing that I had back then. For the past few years, I have hardly drawn at all.
After the intervening years of computers, 3D programs, game companies, and everything that goes with it, somewhere along the line I lost that particular Muse...I have painted, but even now, I'm just a novice...
It is just the basic, simple thing of drawing...a blank piece of paper and a pencil, that's what it all came down to in the beginning. And that's what I have missed.
And now, I'm drawing an old house, a house that's being renovated, close to its original form, and it's a wonderful transformation to observe, day by day.
As I draw this house, I wonder if I still have the chops. But as I draw each line, it makes me think of those who built it. Each form, each trim, each buttress, each chiseled ornament. It makes me think of the craftsmen who designed it, and the sense of pride they must have had. Did they step away and look at it from a distance?...and then go back and fix something only they could see needed fixing...Did they step back when they were finished, and look at it with pride?
That's what I would do with my drawings, and I have a certain joy that I'm doing it again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home