Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Agamemnon's Pool

Agamemnon was an ancient king of Mycenea, which is in present day Greece, and I got to swim in his pool...it was all in a dream of course. But it seemed so real. I climbed up a hillside to a grotto with columns and vines which covered a magnificent swimming pool, which seemed to glow, like pools at night that have lights in them. In the background was a spectacular landscape, something like a Maxfield Parrish or Lawrence Alma-Tadema painting. Two artists whose work I have always admired. It was like I was living in one of their paintings.
An old man in a Greek style robe was there and said, "you can jump in if you'd like." So I did, and then one of the most peaceful and joyful feelings came over me. I could swim underwater without the need to breathe. At the bottom of the pool was series of mosaics, colorful, depicting scenes from everyday life back then in vivid detail. When I resurfaced, the old man pointed to another pool nearby which was bathed in sunlight. Think of the most magnificent resort pool you've ever seen, that's what that one was like. So I dove into that one. Once again I experienced a kind of inner joy that I would be hard pressed to compare to any experience in waking life.
I think I would rank that as my best dream ever.
That's why I like to dream...not just in the 'dream big' sense, but in the literal sense. In fact I look forward to them. They are infinite journeys within our own subconscious, and we get to take these journeys every night.
Not all dreams are that spectacular, some are mundane or incomprehensible, but nevertheless they are all fascinating. I've had similar ones on that kind of epic scale. Like the 'Grand Canyon at Sears' dream, or the "Kamakeriad" dream, which takes place in the future. Native Americans once again ruled, and performed dances in hovering machines for tourists. I wish we could somehow record these.
I wonder if these are sometimes a psychic window.
As in the Agamemnon dream, it also made me wonder if I had actually lived back then, as in reincarnation...I have also had dreams where I'm a German soldier in WWII, those too are quite vivid.
Sometimes I dream of my dad, not just as a walk-on role, but an actual visit by his spirit. One time I dreamed he sat on my bed and said, "I found your book" and winked. It felt like that was actually him. What he meant by that, I still don't know.
Of course, I've had the common type dreams, like having to take an exam after missing a whole semester of classes, or the 'flying' dreams, or the ones where your hair or teeth fall out, or where you're naked, or have no pants. All of these things have symbolism, and I find it interesting to try to interpret them.
Luckily, I seldom have Bad dreams or nightmares. But on the rare occaision that I do, it always involves this buzzing sound and the presence of what I would call 'demons' who always sting when they touch you, they always look like small ventriloquist dummies with bug-eyes, and are very frightening. And the sleep is very fitful, so I wonder if it's a neurological thing. But again, these are very rare, but interesting to note they're always the same.
Anyway, I will look forward to what's on tonite...from within my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home