Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Reunions

Reunions are unique chances of catching up...I've had a number of reunion opportunities recently, more precisely a family reunion a couple of weeks ago....my cousins who I haven't seen in years, and then the next day, a reunion of the guys I worked with.
In each reunion, there was an instant connection with all of these people....
When I met my cousin Mike, I remembered the time we were throwing balsa wood airplanes around when I was 5 and he was 11 or 12....When my airplane would crash I would run in tears to him so that he could fix my plane...even then, I recognized that Mike wasn't an ordinary kid who would just go "ha ha".....No, even then I could see he had kindness...he said 'Hey, don't cry, let's fix it like this..." and he would fix my little plane and it would fly again. My cousin is still this great guy.
He had an unenviable task lately of holding a garage sale from his late parents. During that day, I got to see my old cousins who showed up there, who I grew up with, as a kid...we were all 'kids' then. And, I was amazed at how naturally we eased into the banter we all had way back then, because we grew up together, we just knew each other that way, our voices, our mannerisms....
We have lost touch over the years, my cousins and I don't keep in touch as cousins should, but we all went on to our own lives. But it was wonderful to see them all, and I felt the bond of 'family' with them.
The next day, I attended another reunion, the guys I used to work with in one of the boldest ventures we all engaged in at the time, a game development company and we all had bright ideas and dreams.... unfortunately that failed, for many of us...
But seeing those guys, wow! It was like we had never been apart! the instant 'Esprit de Corps'...the jokes, the gags....We were like old friends again who lamented the demise of what was a good thing...again, very comfortable in each others' company, because we had spent so much time together.
And now, another reunion is coming...an even bigger one...from another 'sunken ship'....but yet it's the crew members that I care about seeing again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just found your blog about Gordon Setter on the internet. I thought I would drop you a note just to say that I have a website and blog about Gordon Setter, so I know yours is great quality. Keep up the good work.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home