Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Gibt est einselzimmer frei?

"Do you have a room available?" That was what I asked over and over when I visited Germany over twenty years ago. Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting a very charming family from Munich, Germany. Hearing the almost musicality of a language I don't understand, I was immediately brought back to those days, with nothing but foreign tounges in the air, I was a fish out of water.
And it was an adventure of a lifetime.
Hearing them speak, I completely remembered roaming from city to city on the train, and then from country to country. When I crossed into France, or Italy, it was the same process over again...re-adjust to the local language, and local customs...but one thing I was reminded of tonight, as I realized when I was there, that these German folks are the same as us...just nice plain folks who do the same things we do, and who want the same things out of life. They go to work, they go the mall, they take vacations, they do the same things we do..... I thought back then, that people all over the world just want the same things, and in spite of certain cultural differences, we are all the same.
Yes there will probably always be wars between countries, and antagonisms, especially these days like in the Muslim World, but among regular everyday citizens all over the world, we are all the same, we are all human beings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home