Monday, September 19, 2005

Where's Roy?

I've been a big Oakland A's fan ever since they moved out here in 1968. I've been to countless A's games over the years, and have listened to them on the radio and TV broadcasts. If the A's are on TV, I usually have them on...like background music.
In every game I've been to at the Oakland Coliseum, and in every home game I've listened to since the beginning, there has always been the powerful voice of Roy Steele. He's been the public address announcer at the Coliseum for over 37 years now. His deep baritone is well known among A's fans, and players from around the league call him 'The Voice of God' ....
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the OAKLAND COLISEUM..."
He's like the host of the show, the ringmaster. I remember all the special inflections he has given players' names over the years, "Now batting...number nine...RRRREGGIE JACKSONNNN..." or "Number twenty five...MARK McGWIIIIRRRE..."
So tonight when I turned the game on, there was some other thin-voiced guy doing the public address! Where's Roy?? For the first time since I've been listening, Roy wasn't there tonight.
I'm sure he'll be back soon, maybe he's ill, or got stuck in traffic or something. But listening to someone else doing the PA was astonishing in its dissonance, like the universe was suddenly a little off-kilter.
We get so used to these subtle institutions in our lives, like a background soundtrack. And when a piece of that soundtrack is suddenly missing, the music doesn't sound quite right.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No spam please

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home