Thursday, July 07, 2005

My Pal Gus

I'm still not finished moving, so my daily routine consists of driving to a storage place and collecting my boxes of stuff. Today on my way down, I needed some gas, so I stopped at Chevron station and backed in. I spotted something moving in the passenger side mirror and it was a little dog. A small brown chihuahua. Awww, what a cool little dog I thought. So as I was pumping gas, I noticed the dog looking up at a car and the people in it were looking at him, "bye buddy! where's your family?" I looked at a guy in the car and he looked at me and shrugged, like, "he's not ours" So they drove off.
So there he sat by the gas pump, all alone. I tried to pet him but he shied away. Then he stepped forward again and looked up at me, as if to ask where his family was. He looked lost and lonely, and I immediately felt bad for him, and worried. Soon other people would drive up to get gas. One lady got out and said, "Is that your dog?"
"No, I think somebody just left him here." The name 'Gus' popped in my head, so I called him Gus...
She tried to pet him too, but he shied away again, but he never left the island where the gas pumps were. I considered taking him with me, but when I would approach him, he would back away, like a child who was instructed to stay away from strangers.
So I drove off, thinking of nothing except Gus. Poor little guy, alone and confused. I called my friend who gave me the number of the Animal Shelter, so I called them and left a message of where to find Gus.
While loading boxes, all I kept thinking about was Gus, where did he come from? What was his home like? He probably wished he was home, with his bed, and his favorite toys. Maybe his family just forgot him, and would be back soon.
On the way back, I couldn't help but drive back to the station, to see if he was still there. If he was, then I was going to personally take him to the shelter, even if he didn't want to go. So when I got there, he was gone. Back with his family I hoped, or on his way to somewhere safe.
So from now on, I'll always remember my pal Gus.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home