Monday, June 20, 2005

Ritual

I have always had small personal rituals, sometimes grand, but mostly trivial, which would not make sense to anyone but myself.
I'm moving out of my house, and the last thing I will eat here will be macaroni and cheese with green beans.
I think most humans like some sort of ritual, it is deep rooted in us, when you consider 'rituals' being held all the time...weddings, religious services, graduations, inaugurations, the list is endless. My personal rituals consist of small things. When I went to Disneyland, I hid a penny behind a coke machine at the Disneyland Hotel, right by the Monorail station. I went back many years later and sure enough, there it was! This became a sort of ritual for me, I would hide pennies in faraway places and would vow to return, sometimes I wouldn't find the pennies, and some places I haven't returned to yet.
Other rituals consist of really day-to-day esoteric things, daily rituals like I think we all have, which are basically routines, but they're still rituals.
When I moved out of my Parents house for the first time, the last dinner at home we had was round steak, macaroni and cheese, and green beans. Then I lived in the dorms at Chico State, the cafeteria was one of those buffet arrangements where you slide your tray down the line and ask for this or that....I had a heaping helping of macaroni and cheese and green beans. I didn't even think about it, that's what I was having. Then comes the ritual....the last night of any home I've lived in, that's what I ate...and that's what I'll have on Sunday night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought-provoking, mootable pv. just my thoughts, well anyways gl & be chipper is what i say

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home