Thursday, June 23, 2005

My Trip to the Dump

As my moving process begins, there is the inevitable need to throw things away, so today I loaded the truck with junk and went to the dump. An old toilet, broken shelves, broken chairs, and numerous items that have been sitting around here for years, like an old vacuum sweeper that I've had for 20 years and hasn't worked for 8.
I remember going to the dump with my dad when I was a kid, it was always a fun outing for me. It's where I first learned to drive! At the dump in San Jose, there was a long gravel road, nearly a mile, that led to the dumping area. It was wide, so my dad would let me drive. I was about 12 or 13 at the time. I didn't go fast, but it was where I first learned the 'feel' of driving, accelerating, braking, etc.....I also had fun climbing in the back of the truck, and throwing things onto a gigantic pile of garbage. Back then, before the age of recycling, everything was thrown away onto the same pile.
Nowadays, dumps have evolved into thoroghly modern recycling centers. As I drove to the one today, I had to stop at specific stations along the way, where aluminum, iron, cardboard, glass, and wood had their own seperate bins. As I stopped at each station, I began to notice the items in the huge bins. Bicycle parts, old tv antennas, you name it. Then it dawned on me that at one time, all of these things were new, and now here they were, in the dustbin of history.
As I proceeded to the main recycling area, I noticed an area full of old refrigerators and other appliances, and another area designated for television sets. I noticed a couple of them were nice console sets with wooden cabinets, the kind I remember as a kid in the 60's. I realized again that at one time, these TV's and refrigerators were once brand spanking new, and I wondered what that day was like when they were delivered for the first time. What was the family like? Were they excited with their new purchase?
How many years did these things sit in people's homes as part of their daily life?
I've recently sold some of my personal items to make the move lighter, like my large TV, couch, redwood picnic table, and other items. I think about my TV, like where is it sitting right now? What are they watching on it?
And now here these were, discarded and probably forgotten, and I actually felt sorry for them, even though they're inanimate objects, They gave years of entertainment, convenience and comfort, and now, there they sat. Well at least they have each other now for awhile, I thought. And in this age of recycling....which is a good thing....sometime, somewhere, they will live again in a new incarnation in a new home.
I thought of this as I unloaded the truck, with even a hint of sadness as I tossed the vacuum sweeper. Then I drove away and waved goodbye to my junk.
I

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home