Thursday, June 16, 2005

Hey, you want go to the Ballgame?

What an ironic shift in the life of someone who has always been a baseball fan. I love baseball. I remember my first baseball memory, when I was three, my mom would listen to the radio, the San Francisco Giants with Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons on the radio. I remember how she would cheer when Willy Mays hit a homer, or when Juan Marachal struck somebody out.
To this day, my mom is still a Giants fan. When the A's moved to Oakland in 1968, we started going to A's games. It was then I became an A's fan. At one point I lived ten minutes from the Coliseum, and I got A's season tickets...and in 2000, I had Giants season tickets, I'm one of those fans that likes them both (though I like the A's a little more)...Sitting there before each game was like being on vacation, sitting in the sun with the ballgame about to start...if anyone ever called and said, "you wanna go to the game?" I would be there in an instant.
My love the of game of baseball carries on to this day. I played little league ball, and pony league, and JV baseball in high school, but I didn't make the varsity team, lots of guys were just better than I was. But it's okay, I enjoyed playing softball for companies I worked at. I haven't played in awhile, and I miss playing.
But since then, being a fan, I have travelled to many cities, and many ballparks around the nation, soaking in the ambiance of each park, each local culture, though it is still an American culture, it's still baseball...
Anyway, back to my current situation....I'm at the point where I need to move out of my house in a number of days, and many crucial things must happen, very crucial.....and then out of the blue a buddy calls and says "hey, you wanna go to the game?"
And for the first time...I'm not sure if I can go...I mean I could...but I never remembered a time when going to a game seemed to be a chore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home