Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Where You Hang Your Hat is Home

So I'm looking for a new place to hang my hat. It can't be just any place, not like twenty years ago when any old place would do. It has to be a place that I can call Home, a place where I can walk in the front door and feel, "I'm home"...but I haven't found it yet.
But first, I'm busy saying goodby to this home....I owned this house, it is my friend and due to circumstances beyond my control I had to sell it. It's like giving away a beloved pet, or abandoning a friend. After saying my daily and nightly goodbyes, I wonder what the last phone call will be before I cancel phone service, or what the last television show I'll watch before I unplug the cable, or what the last personal item I'll move out of here. And then I wonder what the last goodbye will be like, one last walk thru, one last glance back and then I drive away.
So then, where to hang my hat? I've seen places that I could never live in, as the owner stands there like a proud parent on her daughter's first prom date, and as I look around and pretend to be interested, so as not to offend the owner, I can't help but wonder if they know exactly what I'm thinking. And then there are those who seem to think I'm not good enough for their 'daughter'...like today for example, I looked at a place, and the ex-marine like guy with folded arms and gruff disposition who's attitude seemed to be, "why don't we stop wasting each other's time?"
And there are those places who seem to have a personality of their own, mainly due to the people that own them, or live there...their eccentricities seem to spill over and permeate the place, thus saturating the environment to a point that it would be suffocating.
But sometimes, there's places that I have seen and yes, this is where I can hang my hat....but then many others feel the same way too, and it becomes a dance, a competition...so, for the next few days, I'm going to be dancing hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home