Sunday, June 12, 2005

She Likes Apple Pie

So I'm selling my house...the escrow is supposed to close on June 27. So far so good, except for two things; One, I haven't found a place to move to yet, and Two, the prospective buyers now want a new roof, and new paint job, new windows, and a new stove.
The new roof, okay fine, it does need a new roof. But the other things? That is for them to buy. It feels a bit insulting, this is still my house, my sanctuary, my friend. I didn't want this, I had hoped to stay here many more years, but as plans go, they don't always work out the way you want them to.
I was reminded of a movie I saw many years ago, perhaps it was "Roots" but I'm not sure. It took place in the South, during the days of slavery. In a flashback scene, there was a little slave girl who was always playing with a little white boy, the plantation owner's son.
They were shown riding together, climbing trees together, playing games together, even having their baths taken together, always laughing and having fun.
Flash forward to hard times on the plantation...the owner had to sell some of his slaves, so an auction was held. A beautiful young woman in her twenties was put up there on the block. An unscrupulous looking man won the bidding, and took the girl with a sadistic and lustful look in his eyes. As he led her away, he was approached by a tearful young man, it was the owner's son. "If you please, sir," he said, "She likes apple pie."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home