Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I Believe in Father Christmas

When I was about 3 years old, I got a bright blue pedal car from Santa Claus! though I had spied my dad putting it together late one Christmas Eve, I had somewhat believed that there was a Santa Claus, even while my parents played along, I had wondered, even at that age...then when I showed my car off the next day, my cousin Joanne sneered, "there's no such thing as Santa Claus!"
"hmmmph! well..."
But I liked the idea of Santa, coming to visit all the boys and girls who had been good that year, and for years I always made sure to be Good, so that Santa would bring the presents I wanted.
Christmas has always been a wonderful and magical time for me...the smell of the Christmas Tree is what really sets me off these days....
I remember only one time sitting on Santa's lap at Macy's in San Jose when I was 5 or 6, though I knew that wasn't the Real Santa, but I was polite and deferrential enough, I asked for a microscope set.
"Ohhhhh a micrope set?? well, okay...but you have to be good!"
"oh yes!"
"and brush your teeth and pick up your toys?"
"yes!"
"and mind your mommy and daddy?"
"yes!"
"okay then, if you do all these things, then YES! Santa will bring you a microscope set...Ho Ho Ho!"
He was a kind Santa, then he lifted me off his knee, "okay, who's next?"
Even if I was cynical at that age about the existence of a real Santa, I was okay...I liked the concept of Santa Claus...I loved the Spirit of the Idea...
Me and my mom would always go to church when I was little, and the spirit of the Nativity was always paramount during Christmas time, after all, this is the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
The Spirit of Christmas is very all-inclusive for me...
In Britain, traditionally there was Father Christmas...Saint Nicholas....Saint Nick!...who gave gifts and toys a long time ago....
I believe in Him...and I believe in His incarnations.
It is in this Spirit, that the giving of gifts with no expectation of something in return, not just at Christmas, but any time...
The very nature of what is Good in all of us comes through...It all comes together at Christmas, and one of these incarnations is Santa Claus...
and I Believe in Father Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home