Monday, December 05, 2005

Lakeside Park

There's an old song written back in the 70's about an old amusement park called Lakeside Park. It was written by one of my favorite lyricists, Neil Peart. The song is basically reminiscing about old childhood experiences. Lately I've noticed myself and many others having those same kinds of memories. And there are plenty of websites dedicated to Baby Boomer nostalgia, a generation of which I am a part. It seems to be a growing phenomenon, I wonder if this is the onset of middle age...though I don't 'feel' middle aged. It's a look back with fondness to a more innocent time. Maybe even a yearning to go back to that time.
Nostalgia is not limited to my generation, I remember my parents, and even grandparents in their reverie, talking about what it was like when they were kids, and some of their fondest memories....
Maybe that's why we have cameras, super 8 movie cameras, video recorders...we want to keep those memories, and when we get older, they become more and more precious and valuable, that's why the older photos seem to be the best.
Like Neil, he had his Lakeside Park...I had Disneyland, Santa Cruz, Frontier Village (a rediscovered memory), and a host of childhood memories that seemed mundane then, but magical now. Though they're all just memories, some memories last forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home