Saturday, December 03, 2005

That Clean Cut Kid

A long time ago, when I was a little kid, my parents moved into a new house in San Jose. It wasn't brand new, but it was 'their' new house. Over a while, in getting to know the neighborhood, they frequented an old fashioned ice cream parlor on Stevens Creek Boulevard, and they always brought me along. This was around 1965, 1966....My parents would get an ice cream cone and I always got a root beer float.
There was a guy who worked the counter there named Steve. To me he was grown up, but actually he was 18 or 19. He was a tremendously funny, polite, and friendly guy. He would say, "and what would YOU like sir?" to me....and I would do that look around thing and go "huh? sir? me?"
He loved to go fishing, and I remember he and my dad would go on and on about certain baits, the best times to go out fishing, etc...they talked about going deep sea fishing together, but they never did........and he loved baseball, the Giants.
My parents loved him. He was a Clean Cut Kid as my mom always would comment, "boy I sure like that Steve, he's a clean cut kid!..."
This was during a time when young people began to grow their hair long, and there was a certain anti-hippy sentiment, and a war was heating up in a faraway place called Vietnam.
One evening we went over there and Steve said, "well, I guess this will be last time...I got drafted"
All I remember is my mom gasping and my dad saying, "you be careful over there, you hear me?"
After Steve left, we stopped going to that ice cream place, and we never learned what became of him.
I hope that he came home safe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww. My heart and thoughts go out to him and his family. Let's hope he is living a very full and wonderful life now.
Thanks for the story!

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home