Friday, November 18, 2005

Asleep in the Dishwasher

I mentioned on that long list awhile back that the sound of flowing water and the droning white-noise sounds of machines has always had a soothing effect on me. Like those loud heater/cooler units in motel rooms, nothing lulls me to sleep better than that sound.
I remember going to the car wash with my dad when I was a kid, the kind where you get out and wait in a lounge area while the car goes down a conveyor line and gets washed. There was also an area where you could stand outside and watch the cars go down the line, and at the end there was sunken area where guys would wash the wheels. I would stare mesmerized at the guys down there, amid the noise of the washing and drying machines and the spray and mist of the water, it was like a magical world.
When I worked at the hospital, in the kitchen, part of the job was to load the dirty trays onto racks, which were then loaded into a huge industrial type washing machine. the racks traveled in a large circle and came out the other end. This was my favorite part of the job, because I was fascinated by the giant washing machine. One time the machine broke down and a repairman had to come in and fix it. He crawled underneath and inside the thing, somewhere in the middle as the machine turned on and ran while he was still in there somewhere. He finally crawled out having fixed it. From then on I wondered what it was like in there, and would imagine a wonderful little lair with a cot to take a nap in, surrounded by the flowing water and endless machine noise.
Where I live now, there's a wall heater that makes that kind of noise, and at night I always look forward to the thing clicking on, then the fan starts. When I can't sleep, that's always a sure-fire way to fall asleep. I imagine myself on an airplane or a submarine, and that's the engine noise, or behind a waterfall, or in a rain forest.
Sometimes, I imagine that I'm inside that giant dishwasher, in my own private hiding place where I can drift off to dreamland.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on Industrial Workbench ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to batteries and Industrial Workbench with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...dampex.com

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home