Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Combat!

When I was a kid, one of my favorite shows was Combat! with Sgt. Saunders, Doc, Littlejohn, Caje, and all those characters. In fact, I've recently bought the dvd box set, and I'm enjoying the shows all over again.
The kids in the neighborhood I grew up in used to play Combat all the time. Bobby Novack and Chip Olson had all the best toy guns. That was was back in the day when toy machine guns and pistols were no big deal. I always wanted to be "Doc" so I could use my army surplus first-aid kit.
We would split up into teams and other kids would be the 'Germans'. We would try to sneak up on each other and carried out well planned missions to capture the enemy's fort. Our 'battles' usually took place in empty lots or the nearby orchard (back when San Jose actually HAD orchards).
Last night was Halloween, so instead of giving out candy, my friend Shawn and I decided to head over to a Halloween gathering on McDonald Avenue. But before we could go, we had to make sure none of the trick or treaters would see us. We had to hide behind the truck at one point, which was quite silly and fun. Suddenly I realized this was how we always played Combat!
So for a brief moment, we were playing it again...."Kirby, Littlejohn, you stay here...Caje, you follow me..."
It's always so much fun to be a kid again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never saw COMBAT but I remember Hogan's Heroes!
Glad you didn't get caught!!!!!!

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home