Monday, October 24, 2005

Did you know....

First of all, I too would like to thank my dear friend Shawn Wallace http://www.doodlegirl.com/blogger.html for inspiring the following list....
1. I have found over $200 on the ground over the years.
2. I like eggs over easy with flour tortillas.
3. When I was a kid, I always had the back seat to myself, I was an only child.
4. I used to think - and still do - that some cars look like people. 1959 Chevy Pickups looked just like our neighbor Phil.
5. I hid a penny behind a Coke machine at the Disneyland Hotel in 1971. Last time I checked in 1998, the penny's still there.
6. I did the computer artwork for the first Tetris game.
7. I've seen "the Bride of Frankenstein" at least 50 times.
8. When I played with plastic army men when I was a kid, each army guy had his own unique personality and skill.
9. I love sunflower seeds, when I spit out the shells I like to watch them curve through the air.
10. I have visited 24 different baseball stadiums in the Major Leagues. I want to visit them all some day.
11. The sound of flowing water is one of the most soothing and favorite sounds. I have those cheesy fountains all over the house.
12. I started building a fort made out of toothpicks in 1971. It's almost 4 feet tall and is still an ongoing project.
13. My dad taught me to drive when I was 12 at the city dump.
14. My favorite band is Yes, I've seen them 36 times.
15. I enjoy tailgate parties at the Oakland A's games. I use an alien head on a pole as a marker so friends can find the car.
16. I have a tile from the ruins of Pompeii.
17. My favorite actor is Jeff Bridges. In the 70's as a teenager I wanted to BE Jeff Bridges.
18. I've been to the summit of Mt. Whitney, highest point in the continental U.S. (Amazing View #1)
19. In kindergarten, our snack was graham crackers and milk, this is my favorite bedtime snack to this day.
20. As a kid I disliked many foods, like eggs, spinach, onions, beets, fish, etc...today I love all those, with the exception of beets.
21. I sat next to Neil Sheon at a bar in San Rafael, guitarist in Journey, but was too shy to say hello. My shyness has sometimes been a prison to me.
22. Me and the kids in the neighborhood used to play "Combat" in vacant lots and orchards, that's when plastic tommy guns weren't a problem.
23. Amazing View #2...inside the St. Chappelle Cathedral in Paris. The stained glass is breathtaking.
24. I still laugh uncontrollably at some of the Three Stooges episodes.
25. I fell three stories from a fire escape and shattered my femur. I couldn't walk normally for over a year.
26. I had a crush on Becky Thatcher from the live-animation Huck Finn series.
27. Best hotel room I ever stayed in...The Nikko Hotel in Beverly Hills, close second Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu.
28. Worst room was the Topper Motel in Bakersfield.
29. One of my favorite shows was Kung Fu, I liked the gentle philosophy in the flashbacks (Grasshopper...) The ass-kicking parts were cool too...the fact that he had that ability, but used it very reluctantly.
30. I came within about 18 inches of a hole-in-one once when playing golf.
31. When visiting the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in 1990, I drove down the same route that JFK rode on that fateful day...and I swear as I passed by the Grassy Knoll I could almost hear, or certainly feel...a chorus of angels or spirits or whatever screaming.
32. My favorite restaurant for sentimental reasons is Tad's Steakhouse in San Francisco.
33. I think of my dad who passed away in 2001 every day.
34. The fact that I don't speak to my mom every day makes me feel extremely guilty, I WILL call her more.
35. The death of Bill King, voice of the Oakland A's for decades, hit me harder than the death of some of my own uncles.
36. Amazing View #3...The Hana coast in Maui, Hawaii....In the park area there is every shade of green in nature that can be imagined.
37. I never got the appeal of Marcia Brady.
38. I believe in reincarnation.
39. I believe in ghosts.
40. I believe in UFO's
41. I believe in God, and Jesus Christ, and miracles.
42. I believe the above four all fit together somehow in an unexplicable way the grand scheme of things.
43. "Sugar Mountain" by Neil Young is one of the most poignant songs ever written.
44. I laugh uncontollably at some of those "America's Funniest Videos".
45. Macaroni and Cheese and green beans is my favorite 'comfort food'.
46. I love to play blackjack in Vegas.
47. I sprinkle black pepper on just about everything I eat.
48. The loud droning sound of dishwashers, washing machines, loud motel room heaters, etc. lulls me to sleep.
49. Amazing View #4...The Grand Canyon
50. I drove 134 mph in my Alfa Romeo. I had to slow down when the wheel started vibrating, a tire thing possibly.
51. Loud and aggressive people are a vexation to my spirit.
52. Lake Tahoe is one of my most favorite spots in the world.
53. I'm a 6th generation Californian.
54. My favorite book is "Sarum: A History of England"
55. I used to like to spead Elmer's Glue across my hand and fingers, then let it dry and peel it off.
56. "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd makes me think of my dad.
57. I would rent a kayak on Lake Merritt in Oakland and row, so as to at least rehabilitate, while my leg was healing (see #25).
58. My dad drove up and stayed with me after that accident for a month.
59. My second grade school picture was a half-smile, after Yogi Bear's.
60. Amazing View #5...seeing the rings of Saturn with my backyard telescope.
61. I eat green beans just about every night.
62. The one endearing thing that draws me to people is their sense of humor.
63. Having grown up alone, I have always travelled, stayed in hotels, dined in restaurants by myself, it seems perfectly natural to me.
64. I used to freak out about going bald, now I just accept the inevitable.
65. I have a morbid fear of getting hit by a car, that's why I'm doubly cautious when crossing roads.
66. I'm a history buff...if I had one wish (okay maybe three) one would be, to have a time machine, small enough like a cell phone, so that I could go back in time, just to SEE what it was really like. And be there.
67. I think that Elvis Presley was cool, no matter what his incarnation, even in the later 'Great White Elvis' years, he was The King.
68. Same goes for Frank Sinatra, he may have been a prick in real life...but the whole Rat Pack scene in Vegas in the 60's just seemed glamorous and cool, baby...
69. Amazing View #6...The view from atop Mt. Tamalpias in the Bay Area, I had my binoculars and it was an incredible view of nearly the entire bay.
70. I posed for a photo with Jason Giambi in his rookie year with the A's...he was a very nice and humble guy, who knew he would break out and become a star on the Yankees, only to be inbroiled the whole steroid thing.
71. I have re-discovered how delicious stuffed bell peppers are, only from frozen entrees...my mom would make them from scratch, and I recall not liking them that much! How spoiled was i!!
72. I have a certain obsession with World War II, or maybe it's the History Channel, but anything having to do with WWII has my immediate attention.
73. There was a Foster Freeze in San Jose, California that is not unlike the Fosters that is now nearby in Santa Rosa...next I'll have to order the grilled cheese.
74. I am stoic emotionally....when things go bad I try to stay the same and say, 'It's okay' ...even to myself...but when things go good, it's the same thing, it's hard to express joy, either way, it's stoicism.
75. I wish I could play the piano, like Rick Wakeman of Yes.
76. I think I know why there's a huge market for old nostalgic tv shows on dvd's...it's for people like me.
77. One of my favorite movies is "Lilies of the Field"
78. When I was in Europe, I was always singled out for searches, because I looked suspicious.
79. I played the trumpet in 7th and 8th grade.
80. I played JV baseball in high school, but I was small and wasn't as good as the other guys, so I never made the varsity team.
81. I still love to to read the classics, I got H.G. Wells in the bathroom and Jules Verne before bed.
82. Amazing View # 7....on a plane from Seattle to SFO...we flew over Mt. Saint Helens which erupted in 1980, and even 20 years later, the transformation of this single event on the surrounding land was astonishing to see.
83. When I'm on a plane when it lifts off, I say a small and silent player, "God, all of our souls are in your hands"
84. I still miss a glass of milk, and The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson.
85. I wish I had met Neil Peart when he was on his trek, I don't think I would have been shy enough to tell him he is one of my contemporary heroes.
86. I want to get back in touch with Rory, Carl, Bill, Little Rich, Gene, Julie Goldman, Brian Cross, and a ton of the friends I made way back when, in the dorms in CHICO.
87. "Seven Samurai" is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.
88. One of the best things is stopping at a place to have breakfast on the highway and hitting the road on a long journey.
89. Amazing View # 8....from the Colossium in Rome, there were tours where you can go inside...it was one of those moments when I was so overwhelmed by the history and grandeur of the place, that I had to fall away from the tour and soak this place in....Imagine a modern football or baseball stadium of the same size...only they built it 2,000 years ago.
90. I like Spam....NO not the conventional usage of spam as unwanted email and such...no, the canned kind, which we ate while camping and it tasted kinda goood, when you're hungry anyway.
91. When I was a kid, from as far back as I can remember, we would get ready for trips to Tulare, California, which was a three to four hour drive from San Jose. That car trip is forever ingrained in my mind, the Casa Da Fruita along hiway 162 was a little stand, and became a whole tourist stop over the years.
92. Thanksgiving at Gramma and Grampas house in Tulare! The traditition was, for many years
when I was little, was that we would all drive down to Tulare, California...usually Wednesday, the night before, and we would all find places to sleep in their small house, and then the next morning we would watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV! I remember being amazed by the giant floats...
93. I still like 'Torts' or...tortillas which were a staple in our house at dinner, my dad ate 'torts' his whole life...he was one of those long term 'Californios' where tortillas are just an everyday thing...but I later realized that tortillas are a California thing. Maybe not everywhere, but in restaurants I do see huevos rancheros on the menus...and, yes, Torts os on the menu.
94. Are we gettin close to the end? My favorite album is Close To The Edge by YES, I have spent a lifetime trying to get friends to like them, and defend them.....I stopped trying to evangelize them back in 1978.
95. I have a ton of LP records, and an turntable that begs to be played.
96. I will never get tired of watching my classic movies, which I will watch over and over and over again.....
97. I love Bacon
98. I love California
99. I love Television
100. Most of all, I love my Mom, Dad, Shawn, Mike, Berta, Mimi, Jim, Patty, Rory, Wes, Bob, Mark, Brenda, and all those who have touched...and tolerated... my life....God Bless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Gee...maybe the 3 anonymous commentors missunderstood statement #90.ha. I love Yes also. When I hear the Close To The Edge album, I am 18years old again.
Janet

3:16 PM  
Blogger RHoward454 said...

This blog entry is really interesting to me. While I sort of doubt that you 'll come back to this old post and see this just had to comment anyway. I had the fortune to live in Sunnyvale (just north of San Jose) for a few all too short months in 1992. My wife and I both fell in love with the area and hated to leave it, but just couldn't afford to stay when the company that had moved me out there went belly up.I really enjoy reading your childhood memories as they seem to closely mirror my own childhood. Great Blog!

Too bad the spammers won't stay away from good blogs.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home