Friday, February 23, 2007

Songwriters

Oh I admire songwriters so much, because they are truly poets...artists...their words are set to music of course, but it's the words themselves...words that can touch your soul, or at least wave hello to it.
I recently received a book of poetry, and, having read through some of it...there was something missing...oh, some were good, the words were very visual and striking...but there was something missing, ahhh! music? I don't mean that every poem must be a song lyric, but every song lyric is a poem...if that makes sense...
I admire songwriters...
Not only the ones who write the songs, but the ones who can write and perform their own songs as well.
But mostly, yes, there's the poetry of the lyrics, as they weave it into a melody, and hence, a gorgeous song...
You all know Bono, of the band U2 of course...I would say he's a good one. "The Joshua Tree" by U2 is one of the best records ever written, his real name is Paul Hewson, and, like a traditional Irishman, he's a wonderful writer.
Neil Peart, he's the drummer in the band Rush, one of the most insightful lyricists ever, in my humble opinion anyway, he has written 3 books, and is working on a fourth...
Dolly Parton, bless her heart...she said she will never need a shrink, because she can write songs, and everything goes into them...
Ohhh, there are a ton of others, very gifted songwriters...another, Julie Miller, though I'm not completely famliar with her music, but I know about her, and her passion for her music...and her words.
And others, Jimi Hendrix, known mostly as a guitar guy from the 60's...he wrote "Little Wing" and "The Wind Cries Mary" The words to those songs are beautiful. Like poems...
Oh how I wish I could pour a certain feeling or emotion into a few choice words that may touch others...how I wish I could do anything in that way.
But people who have the gift of words AND the gift of music...songwriters...they touch me.
And they are indeed...special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home