Monday, November 06, 2006

My Pleasure

I grew up with the certain sense that it's always important to be polite...'please and thank you' were definite staples in my social upbringing. And to this day they are, and will always be....
Though today, a very small incident made me realize something...a small social kindness can make your heart soar....
As you may have read recently, I've been working at Safeway, where they really drum it in, that the customers are king, where customer service is number one...and you MUST treat customers with kindness, service, and respect!
Well that part was never too hard, helping people find things, with a quickness and a social competence...okay, fine, I can do that...
until I experienced such a thing outside of work...
As I left an art store today, a woman in a motorized wheelchair whizzed by, with a strawberry Icee or Slurpee and she dropped it...
"Oh Damn!"
Now...there was a time when I would have just side-stepped or walked by, fearing those in wheelchairs who shun help, or even resent it...that would have been my excuse...but NO...
AUTOMATICALLY!
"Oh, can I grab that for you?
"oh! thank you...what a mess!"
"my pleasure, noooo, it's not a mess!"
"oh yes it is! ohhh look at this!"
"Don't worry Maam! the boys here will clean this up!"
It was automatic...in a stride...customer service...
and I felt good about it, a natural kind...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great story!! Each time you help someone else, I believe you are opening doors of kindness back on to you.

Thank you for sharing this.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home