Saturday, October 14, 2006

Soundtrack of our Lives


tapes
Originally uploaded by Olias444.
The other day I was digging around the garage and found a box of old cassette tapes. It was like finding an old photo album filled with memories, only these are audio memories. Some of the tapes are over 25 years old, but I remember playing them over and over back then.
So, for the past few days I've been playing these old tapes, some of course are in poor condition, but the sound does come through, and when it does, it takes me back to whater time that was. Many people have similar experiences when they hear their old songs, like their own personal albums. Right now I was playing an old Montrose tape, and it reminded me of the old days in Chico, when I was in school. That was a 'party' tape...but inversely, most days back then were not invovlved with partying, but with many hours in class, or in the library with my nose in a book, and on the walk home, with my Walkman, I would play Jethro Tull's 'Songs From the Wood'...that tape was in there too...Obscure tapes like Patrick Moraz, or famous tapes like Hotel California, they're in there...and each one brings back not only the era, but specific moments in time, like the Genesis tape 'Wind and Wuthering' that makes me think of driving through Bidwell park and passing a certain old tree...or the Doobie Brothers 'Minute by Minute' that makes me think of A's games in the 70's and 80's before the game, when the players are warming up...or The Clash "London Calling" makes me think of playing backgammon on the floor of our house in Chico...
I found a tape by the 80's band The Babys. 'Head First' and that brought me back to my first job at North Star Computers, how funny it was to think of the things that concerned me then...I used to worry about trivial things, like what shirt to wear the next day, that the color might match the boss' shirt, and would he think I was copying him...or would I get home in time to catch my favorite MTV video...
Other tapes I found from the 90's...how I got into Frank, Sammy, and Dino, and Big Band...what a good time that was, though I didn't realize it then...I sure do now....
One tape from Bruce Hornsby I remember playing in the car and my dad asked, "is that Chicago?" because that one song, 'Look Out any Window' does sound like them...He loved Chicago, and I had always planned to get tickets whenever they played in Tahoe or Vegas where they ended up, and then he would finally get to see them...but we never made it.
When hearing that song again, I imagine us there in a theater in a nice booth watching the show, though it never happened in real life...in my imagination we were there...we'll always be there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home