Monday, November 06, 2006

Our cars

> Okay was trying to link thru flickr, that damn thing...but
> whatever...let's get to it...
> Here's the cars I have owned...
> And also the point I was intending to make...that all of the
> automobiles that any of us have owned, or even ridden in, from the
> excellent family cars, to the beater cars, they remain as a sort of a
> 'member of the family' or at least a 'buddy' car.....
> My point here is this...they are simply machines, but we spend hours
> and hours in our cars, and they're OUR cars, yours and mine.
> They're our friends, our companions, our children, and sometimes even
> lovers...
> And we do love them, we look after them...and sometimes when they let
> us down, we hate them and feel betrayed by them...and still they are
> there...and we need them.
>
> 1) 1974 Ford Pinto -in 1976 - This was my first car, and I had gotten my first
> job at Great America in Santa Clara, CA and was about to even graduate
> high school...my dad had said, "okay, if you can get a job, and find a
> car, I'll match it..."
> So me and my dad found a nice little Ford Pinto at a used car lot, in
> very good condition, and the fact that I paid some at the time,
> maintained the fact that this was My Car.
> I changed the oil in My Car for the first time...I bought new tires
> for My Car and everything that goes with that.
>
> 2) 1976 Triumph -pm What a 'Diva' that car was...It drove like a
> son-of-a-gun through the country roads, it handled like a
> beauty...but, like a Diva, things would break down all the time, to
> the point where it became a burden to repair the brakes right after I
> was done with repairing the radiator, and the the electrical system
> would give out....sheeesh.
>
> 3) 1984 Toyota Truck - This was my first purchase of a New vehicle and
> it was a big huge puchase...it had only 8 miles total on it...and it was mine! Though I did have the post-purchase-panic about the whole thing. Nevertheless, the truck was mine, and I drove the hell out of that thing all through the 80's...until my dad needed a truck, so off it went to him....and he took good care of it...
I always learned from him, and also my grandpa, to always take care of your cars, and to change the oil, that's the main thing....

4) 1986 Alfa Romeo - which I bought used in 1990... Ohhhh mman, here I bought this really cool car, leather seats....I was in my element, I was young, guys I worked with said "ooo! you could get chicks with that car!"
I was more like, "ummm, yeah sure.." it was just more having the car.
The guy I bought it from was a European guy..."She's a lady, she needs to be maintained!"
And I did...a human being and also an automobile at the time. It was then I learned the term, 'high maintenance'...
But that Alfa was a dream for a time...I remember meeting my parents up at Lake Tahoe, my dad and I took a drive up to the north shore....with the top down...
"Man, this thing hugs the curves!" my dad would say, as we drove back at 80...when we should have been going 50....I think he was just nervous about those high curves, but the car took them, it had new Pirelli tires...
But it was another Diva...oh those divas...it got to a point where I couldn't smog it, therefore I couldn't register it, I couldn't idle it long enough to even smog it...so I sold it...it wasn't about the oil anymore...it was long after I was out of that 'cool' element anyway....
She abandoned me on a bridge one night, alone, I hated her for that.
5) 1980 Honda Accord - The ultimate 'beater' car...At the time, I had only the Alfa and was commuting from Oakland to Novato, CA...so, to save miles, I bought a used Honda Accord from one of the ads you see in the paper, with 109,000 miles on it, and it was in good enough shape, so I used that to commute...during this time I moved up to Marin...and to a new job...and soon after I was stuck with two 'Divas....the Alfa and the Honda...
6) 1997 Honda Civic - My only second 'new' car, with only 6 miles on it, it ran like a charm in all the time I had it, up until lately (see next post)...
7) 1984 Toyota Truck - yes, the same one...back, like an old and trusted friend, tired and somewhat sad, seeing as where he's been...regularly serviced when my dad had it...
But yes, even though it's just really a machine, it's a friend...a good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home