Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Music

Okay I just pasted a link here as a test...but before you even bother to watch it, I made sure to post the best thing I could find....well maybe not literally defined as the 'best', because musical taste varies of course...so, maybe the best musical performance I have seen on video that captures the idea of great music...
A few days ago I had asked a dear friend, if you could really be a 'star', would you rather be a singer with a wonderful voice, or a musician who could play an instrument incredibly?...
Me, I think I would always choose to be a musician who could play an instrument, I'm a relatively shy type, and as much as I admire incredible singers and their charisma on stage...I admire incredible playing....
I played the trumpet in school and learned to read music and all of that...but I could only read the notes, whatever ear for music ended at my wrists. I could play the notes, but I couldn't play the actual music as it should have been played. Like a nerdy kid who couldn't dance...but really wanted to.
I love music, and I can hear it, but like a monkey in a cage who reaches out for a greater thing, the ability to play a musical instrument is a technical and artistic skill that I can only reach for that way...I've tried. I bought an inexpensive acoustic guitar in the 80's with the hope of learning how to play it, but it was the same thing...I could only play notes in a rudimentary way. A guy I worked with at the time could play really well, and one day he was over, and picked it up and made the thing sing.
It's mathematical, he said, to play music...hmmm, well he was a programmer so that made sense. He also added that he couldn't draw a stick figure, and wondered how I was able to draw things. I told him I didn't really know, it just seemed natural.
So it's probably the same thing. And the appreciation of music or art is not limited to one's ability, that's for sure...I wasn't great at math, but I do love music. I understand every note, I HEAR every note and every word of every song I've ever liked...
One interesting similarity is that I like detail, technical detail, the more intricate pieces the better, both in art and music. But definitely not limited to that, there is nothing like a good song, in melody or lyrics...And I have enjoyed a myriad of of musical genres, all except hip-hop I guess, and for a while there I didn't like Country too much, until I started listening to some of the songs, now I appreciate that music very much...I also like classical music, 'Claire de Lune' by DeBussy is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard...but most of all I'm a 'classic rock' guy...I was into the rock thing in the 70's, sure...but I liked the bands who could *really* play.
Bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, ELP, Jethro Tull, whose members were usually trained in classical music...In other words, bands who pushed the limits beyond typical 4x4 Rock n' Roll, and had the the ability to play their instruments creatively, and exceptionally well.
And I wish I could play...
Hopefully this will link, but this is Rick Wakeman, the keyboard player in the band Yes...incredible....this is the kind of playing that I'm drawn to...
If you do watch, you may find it bombastic or long-winded or whatever, many do...but I enjoy hearing every note of this one...and, like a primate, I sit amazed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-hJlbbtSlQ

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess... technically.. its true. That music and art is mathmatical, but when you are a true musician and artist, you don't see the numbers and calculations. You feel the music. You feel the art. You create for creative sake. No numbers rolling inside your head. It just rolls inside your soul. The fact you desire to play an instrument probably means you have it in you to KNOW how to play. Give it another chance. You can do annnythiiiing your soul and heart desires from you. I really believe that.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home