Monday, June 05, 2006

"On the Double!!"

I never served in the military, and I have the utmost respect for those who have. My last name is Guerra, which in Spanish and also Italian, translated means 'War'.....it's a fairly common name actually, probably derived from when people took their names based on what they did, such as 'Baker', 'Miller', etc....
Though I consider myself a very laid back and peaceful person, I have always been fascinated by war history, tactics, and weaponry...my favorite movies are war movies, mostly World War 2.
If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I suspect that I may have been a German soldier during WW2, I've had numerous dreams over the years, very vivid, I'm in the Wermacht and there's an air raid...the sights, the sounds, and most importantly, the fear...it's all there...
Anyway, my dad and my uncle Joe served in the Navy, during the Korean War. I think their experiences then, as young men, made a life-long impression on them. Whenever we went to Disneyland, or to an A's game, or 4th of July, whenever there were fireworks, without fail my dad would say "That booming sound reminds me of being aboard ship..."
My Uncle Joe was very fond of the phrase "On the double!!" to us kids...looking back, I can see that his experience in the Navy made a lasting impression on bossing us kids around, my dad did it too. "I want this room CLEAN, Mister!" or, "Let's GO, on the double! go! go!"
Those were the orders they barked at us...as they were barked at them...not that it's a bad thing, on the contrary, it was a good thing...it meant order and discipline and character, which I respect....and still strive for...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww. And don't forget! Your dad was just simply living his name out. (oh. and how much I miss your dad!!!!) I adored him.

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home