Friday, June 16, 2006

My pal Wes

In everone's life, there are certain individuals that you encounter as you go about your life, that for some chance you find them only though life experience....and when you meet them, you know that they will be in your for life forever, you just know....
I remember meeting such a guy...
A long time ago, I worked for a game company and they were bringing in artists from near and far...in came an old hippie looking guy and I instantly liked his demeanor... humorous and self-effacing, but most of all he was a fantastic artist...not only that, he had other talents too.....
I think that I related to his sense of vulnerability, I liked his sense of humor that just comes naturally....the spontanious kind, a natural WIT... I am very...VERY drawn to people like Wes, because I think they draw the best out of ME....back then, whenever I was around Wes, it was joke time. Time to crack jokes, do silly impressions...
He produced a radio show, and invited me along to participate, because he recognized in me, that same sort of fun and irreverence...
Wes is sick again....he had congestive heart failure problems about five years ago. I went to see him in Seattle and we went to the Mariners ballgame, he walked with a cane with a fragility of a very old man, but he still had his wit...he still cracked jokes, I think he enjoyed just getting out to the game....but he's sick again...
I know what it's like when grandparents, old relatives, and even parents die, it's the cycle of life....but when friends die, that's a new one....and Wes isn't gone yet, not by any means....but he emailed me today and he seems afraid.
I tried to tell him that he musn't be afraid...that there are no atheists in foxholes, that everyone you're life touches does change...usually for the better...I don't know if that was very helpful, but I know this....
whenever I feel sorry for myself, I need only think my pal Wes...I'm praying for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home